Monday, June 20, 2011

Dancers

On Saturday evening we drove down the hill, under a green gray tornado colored sky. Four of us, looking into the middle years and beyond. We went to see the dancer's recital, on the Elementary school gymnasium stage, the dancers of all ages, and my two yoga students.

I cannot prove it with any scientific facts, but I do believe, my yoga pals, both over 55, shone the brightest, had the most artful, easy grace, danced with the finest posture - even over the teenagers.
You might say I am biased, and that I will admit to. Yet, there can be no mistaking the fact that these two women have endured breast cancer, the usual challenges of aging and work, the fatigue factors of time, and their faces shone that night. They each stood out - the ballerina leaping, the tap dancer clipping. Serene smiles, clear eyes, they had a light from within. 

Making time for our practice is  lighting a candle from the inside out. On days like this, when it is gray and cold, and the solstice is here, making one feel disoriented, the candle needs more than ever to be lit from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment