Wednesday, February 3, 2021

February 2021 - A Poem a Day

 January 30, 2021 

Inspired by Eddie Izzard and his month of marathon-a-day runs, I decided to do a poem-a-day during the month of February. I began a little early. Here is what I have so far:

 January 28

 I french braid my hair- 

sip the last bit of creamy warm coffee 

morning light emerges

 emerging heart 

Traveling spirit out of the hopeless night

 Step out the door.

January 30

 7:30 am, the light comes around the long dark month

 closing the final square on the calendar

 Driveway sheen reflects the neighbors new bright outdoor lights

 Soon I'll pull on the black compression socks,

 new running shoes lock my front door, 

step into the cold air

 Begin the lope,

 try for landing on the toe joints

 find the dirt at the edges of pavement

 step, step, step into morning.


 January 31

 Out of the scary night I wake

 from under the 4 layered bed I make 

At 7 the light from ink to gray

 A slow turn now to Sunday


 7 to 8 I write by the fire

 8:15 slip on outdoor attire 

shoes mud crusted , although new

 Other runners, just a few 

Breath winter air, chill and wet 

Never fast, but grateful yet. 


February 1

 The morning starts with my teacher's voice

 On a screen, other faces in the gallery 

My tree, through the west window meditation tree

 My teacher reads a poem, then plays our refuge song 

A fine start to Black History Month The month of my birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment