Friday, April 22, 2011

Washing the Floor and Hoeing the Garlic

Today cosmic circumstance gave me the opportunity to spend the morning washing my kitchen floor. It is the kind of clean that you can feel with bare feet. I did not have to hurry while I washed, I just washed with no thought of time. My space feels happier now in a general way.
The weather turned finally toward spring, the bite of cold receded by the afternoon when I walked down to my neighbor's garlic field where I am helping in the work. My efforts are part of a trade for fresh vegetables. We hoe and chat or sometimes I am alone and I think. Hoeing and thinking is a natural combination. I feel connected to the many ancestors through the ages who worked their fields for survival.
The light has come to gloaming, the cats walk in front of the windows, maybe waiting for the moon to rise. The blossoms on the plum trees and the daffodils glow in this light. Another luxury, to stare out the window. The sky is several hues of dark blue.
It is quiet except for the evening birds chirping. It is quiet enough for a mind to drift, to float unhurried, agenda free. It is quiet enough to hear the sound waves left by the voices of those long dead, who seem to have a hand in why I am here, in this farmland, on this hill, with the sense of closeness to something I walk toward in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment