Saturday, April 9, 2011

Applesauce Carrot Cake

Here is a cake recipe, in honor of my Arlyn, for  whom I waited 3 weeks past his due date, finally the pangs of labor beginning 33 years ago today. I can still see the green trees and the grass warm from spring sunshine in the clearing near our cabin where I passed the first hours of labor. You know, the ones where you think, oh, this isn't going to be so bad...
He finally joined us on the outisde at 3 am on April 10.
Today I made a birthday cake for our birthday lunch tomorrow. It turned out so well, I have to share it:

Applesauce Carrot Cake

2 c hot applesauce (homemade gravenstein canned last summer is lovely!)
1 1/2 c organic cane sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
2 farm fresh eggs
1 c shredded carrots
3/4 c veg oil
2 teas allspice
2 teas cinnamon
1 teas nutmeg
1/2 teas salt
1 1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas baking pwder
2 c. unbleached white flour (preferably Bob's Redmill)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour        "
1 c. chopped walnuts         

Heat the applesauce in microwave for 2 min. Blend eggs, sugars, and oil together. Mix in applesauce and carrots., blend again. Add dry ingredients, blend to consistency for cake batter, adding flour or applesauce as needed for consistency. Bake at 350 for  40 minutes in cake pans.
Muy rico, very rich.
Frost if desired... buttercream or cream cheese frosting.  Decorate with your baby's name, or whoever the cake is for.
Birthdays remind me of how lucky I am to have so many people to love in my life. spending time making a real cake with first rate ingredients is my way of going to the place of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment