Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Epiphany

All throughout my childhood, my beautiful, creative Mom would hold a special celebration dinner for the Feast of the three Kings.  We had a cake with a porcelain baby Jesus hiding inside.  Whoever got the piece with the baby got the wise men's gifts of gold (a chocolate gold foil coin) Frankensence (incense) and myhrr, (mouthwash).
I loved that holiday, so well placed after the let down of the big holidays, when we had to march back to school in the January cold and rain.. (unless we were lucky enough to have it snow).

Here in Mexico they celebrate with a 'rosca' a ring of sweet bread decorated with candied fruit.  It reminds me a bit of German stollen. This is a big holiday, with gifts too. Los tres Reyes.  I saw 3 men dressed as the kings posing for photo opps with families in front of Cathedral Metropolitano. One of them was very dark skinned, with middle Eastern features. They wear bright satin robes and look just like the miniature kings my Mom had for her mantle manger scene.  I can't see the three Kings without thinking of their connection to 'epiphany'. I didn't learn the meaning of 'epiphany'  outside of cake and gifts until we studied James Joyce in college.

We need more epiphanies I believe, in this modern world.  Epiphanies to bring us up into the light of compassionate love, generosity, intelligent use of resources... oh-kay.. I will step down from the soap box.  I just wish the paradigm of a widening gap between rich and poor will change. Possibly with an epiphany... a sudden inspiration that "a rising tide floats all boats", if the other person, the stranger, has a better life, then mine will be so as well.
Last night I sang Om Ni Shavaya in the Kiosk where we practice yoga.  The reverberating sound made me feel as though I actually could sing.  My voice came easily. My little group sat with me, my small heaven. To all my friends, fellow yogis, or anyone reading this, I wish for you an epiphany to carry your heart into the new year lightly, gently, smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment