Friday, October 19, 2012

Flowing Free

The Elwha River is now flowing free for the first time in 80 years. I went to see it with my own eyes. As  I walked over the hills of accumulated silt which was the bottom of Lake Aldwell,  I thought of Monica, my Elwha friend. She, who told me that Elwha means "deep voiced people", and that the legendary Elwha King Salmon was gone since the damns were built.

I have not seen or heard from Monica for many years. I moved away from that valley below Mt. Olympus, and only now return to visit in the hills above where my brother has made his home for more than 30 years.
We walked the new river bed together, and words did not come for the feeling of seeing a river literally 'breathing' after being strangled in the hands of profiteers who knew or cared nothing about the connection to life salmon has been for thousands of years to the natives of this land.
Now fish have become a political issue. If you have noticed the price rising into brackets where only the rich can afford fresh local fish like halibut, cod and salmon. Fish used to be s staple food for those living near water. Now it is a luxury.

May the salmon come back to the reaches above the Elwha, 22,000 acres of pristine habitat protected by Olympic National Park. The Elwha have a salmon coming home song, and they are singing it now with hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment