Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Planting

Today I gather up garlic cloves, fat and healthy, to become next years bulbs. I plant them as my teachers down the hill taught me, 2 inches deep, and 6 to 8 inches apart... well, I fudge, and maybe go 5 inches, because this is a bed, not a field. I also plant daffodil bulbs along the outside of the garden fence. Next year this should look very spiffy!

While I plant, between rain showers, I can hear a flock of geese flying south. Ah, I bid them goodbye, and safe travels, just as I say goodnight to the bulbs I've left to winter's storms.

Our actions are like cloves, they take root somehow, and much later when the time is right, they grow into some sort of plant. What kind of plant do I want my today actions to create? Ah, if only I had the recipe for the peace and love clove. And, then I would want the equity clove too. When the sun came back around to longer days, I would have the fat bulb of a new world sprouting in my dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment