Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Holiday Letter

I have these lovely holiday cards from Unicef, which I can't wait to send to all of my people far and near, some of whom I see regularly and some I wish I saw more. Maybe you got one, and that is why you are here reading what my pal Lori calls "Bog's blog".
An annual letter of sorts is utilitarian, to convey the 'hard news', but I thought I'd cover the bases this year by inviting you here, because my blog includes snippets of my life since it's inception in July. (My blog's inception,, not my life's - ah, there you go, an SAT grammar correction problem, indefinite pronouns - my little stocking stuffer to you!)

The year has been full, and as the title of my blog indicates, it has included all of my favorite things - yoga, food, love and living with intention.
Where is it appropriate to begin?  I always imagine my little family reading this and thinking... hey, she didn't mention me first, or she didn't brag about me. That is, most likely, my own projection, because when I read holiday letters I am excited when I see myself highlighted.... yes, childish, but I'm stuck with it. So, there you go, the first person mentioned in my letter is me. Now all the other wonderful people in my little family will not feel second or third.  (You can see why holiday letters are such a challenge for me.)

Amidst all the images of the year, the enlargement of my little family is so awesomely wonderful.  On October 23 we got to legally add Kirsten Curtis, ne: Atkin, to our lineage. I have to say, seeing two people so in love is fun beyond words. Kirsten is in her final year of law school at The University of Arizona. Amery has just completed his MBA in Sports Management. Tahoe, their husky, is the third element of the new Curtis family.  Tahoe wishes he could dig into mole hills for hours.

The wedding was held in Bend, OR. Amery chose his brother, Arlyn, as his best man, and Kirsten chose her sister, Lauren. What a lovely wedding party... and the start of new family attachments.
Nama and Nampa got on a plane from Sea-Tac to Bend, and so were able to attend Amery and Kirsten's wedding as our very esteemed elders, Nama dressed in the requisite orange. We wondered how Mom would do with the big trip, but it turns out that being patted down by the female airport security agent felt really good on her back. We take what we can get, eh?

The wedding was so fun, I wish I could do it all again...

This year has been one of doing the things I believe in and enjoy, not the least of which is hanging out on the mountain with Curtis Daily, my dear partner. If you have not yet met Curtis, I hope you get to meet him soon. He is an Accomplished double bass player, yep, same instrument that my Arlyn plays.  As Curtis puts it, my life is full of 'low notes'.  Being an alto, that really works for me!

It turns out that Curtis grew up 4 blocks away from me in Salem when we were little kids. We did not cross paths until our 50's. That is the way the universe works I guess.  If it were not for Arlyn's bass recital, we never would have met. I have believed for years that my kids are my lucky charms, and this fully proves it. If you ever wonder how long one must wait for love, don't doubt that it is there, no matter where you are in life. 

Arlyn Has been promoted to Wine Steward at Carafe Restaurant in downtown Portland.  This allows him to attend 'industry' wine tastings, where he has described tasting over 100 wines in a few hours. Since I live a few miles from numerous wineries, it is fun to go along with Arlyn to make the rounds. 

Curtis and I have joined the legions of wines makers.  Last year we made 5 gallons of Chardonnay.  This year we have 7 gallons of Chardonnay and 7 gallons of Riesling.  This does not include the IPA.  We have Fish Schaad to thank for letting me trade picking for grapes. What a deal! If you visit you can taste.

In February I spent 3 weeks in Mexico with Curtis, learning the terrain of Mexico City and the road west to smaller towns. When you read this we will probably be checking into the little Hotel Habana in the Centro Historico. We try to blend into the colorful bustling life of this complex and ancient city by speaking as much Spanish as possible and not wearing shorts..... the locals never wear shorts.
I will take some yoga classes in Spanish, Curtis has guitar and string selling work, as well as tour guide duty.


Work, yes we do have that too. I have regular Monday and Saturday morning yoga classes, private tutoring and substitute teaching. I am eternally grateful to my students for inspiring me in my practice. I also love private tutoring. I have not substitute taught for several years, and I am really liking the little rural schools in my area. If you read some of my blogs you may see some of my students there.


If you took the time to find this link and read my letter, you are indeed wonderful.  I am lucky to know you... you are my charm too....


May you have a beautiful New Year, where you find that life is what you intend, and love is everywhere.......

Yours,
Bog

No comments:

Post a Comment