Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Holidays We're Stuck With

I like holidays.  I like the chance to feel like I'm not obligated to the usual level of productivity. Isn't that what holidays are about? This one, Veteran's Day, is one I feel some ambiguity toward. I wish there were non-violent ways to serve one's country, then I would be a veteran too.

The On-line Dictionary defines veteran as: "A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity." So, I am a veteran. I am a veteran of life, of young widowhood, single parenthood and Catholic School.  I am a veteran of broken hearts, tight budgets,  and second hand clothes. I am a veteran of middle childhood in a pack of 9, working for peace, lobbying for the land and being ignored.

I am also a veteran of privileges, like never knowing hunger, and having healthy, kind, smart children. I am a veteran of knowing love, watching sunsets, climbing mountains and eating beautiful food.

My father is the kind of Veteran this day is about.  He served in the Air Force in WWII.  He hasn't talked about it much until recently.  We were at a party a few months ago, speaking to a young woman from Japan.  My Dad was in an animated conversation with us.  The woman mentioned the town she was from.  Dad suddenly became intensely serious, and told her how sorry he was that his plane dropped bombs on that very town during the war.  I was impressed beyond words.  She was stunningly gracious.  We all felt very close and exchanged contact numbers toward the end of the evening.

I think it took as much, if not more courage for my Dad to admit that fact to this young woman as it took for him to fly in planes in wartime. He doesn't like war. The best kind of veteran.

What are you a veteran of? 

If we realize, all of us, that we are serving something every day, that what we do becomes our legacy, we are touching eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment